Monday, February 28, 2011

Academy Awards Fashion

So! Oscars! Did anyone else sit through the entire red carpet arrival show, plus the awards ceremony in full? Just me?  Adam and I ate tacos (hmm, is that now a tradition?) and played Scrabble through the whole thing, which was awesome, because I got to say things like "Oh yes she looks marvelous" while he kept score and drank all the beer. Activities!

Anyway, here are my picks for Best Dressed of the night:

The Gals

My hands-down favorite gown: Cate Blanchett

This gown is going down in the history books for sure. I love how it looks like an octopus covered in plankton. I love how it's lilac and yellow! What a combo! I love the detailing on the back, and the framing on the front, and the cut, and the voice of this dress. I love her hair and her jewelry. A perfect ten, Cate!



Best guest: Camila Alves

I guess this is not really fair to include her in Best Dressed, because she's a model and a date and not actually an actor, but she took my breath away with this black ballgown. So you get Best Guest, Camila! Just the right mix of classic, demure, and drop-dead sexy.


Best use of vintage: Marissa Tomei


I like how when Tim Gunn asked Marissa why she chose this dress, she just kind of shrugged and was like "Oh, I had it in my closet" like it was no big thang. I mean, if a crotch-shot starlet had said that, I'd be irritated, but this is Marissa Tomei. She's been around the block, a working actress since I was in diapers. Even Lady Gaga loves her. So say what you want, Marissa. Get on with your bad self. And PS I love the yellow earrings, way to make the color wheel your bitch.


Trendsetter: Michelle Williams

I loved Michelle Williams back in Dawson's Creek, and then she wore that amazing yellow dress in 2006 that made us all say "whoa" and then she had a baby with Heath Ledger and named her Matilda (blaghh!! so cute!), and then Heath died and she seemed to carry it so strong, which made her seem even more endearing, and now she looks like the most wispy, delicate, lovely thing on earth, like a vintage champagne flute you are scared to drink from in case the touch of your lips makes it shatter. 

Anyway I dig this gown and her badass hair:


 Best use of color: Mila Kunis

She blew me away in royal green at the Golden Globes, and here she is in ethereal lilac, making me swoon with her ruffles and lace. This gown reminds me of the sunshine floating over a field of lavender in the South of France. 



Most fashionable: Tie between Mandy Moore + Jennifer Lawrence

Fashion this year has been teetering between ultra feminine (sparkles, sleeves, Scarlett Johansson) and ultra modern (Color block, minimialism, Emma Stone).  I think Mandy Moore hit the former bang-on in this Monique Lhullier gown: a sparkle explosion with old Hollywood sophistication:




And Jennifer Lawrence nailed the latter with this form-fitting, simple, tomato-red gown. I loved Jennifer's hair too. She looked so fresh and young, albeit if it were me, I would have called Tiffany's and be like "SEND ME YOUR DIAMONDS I'M GOING TO OSCAR." Kudos for her for the restraint.


The Fellas


Again the boys are the most boring of the lot, but I did want to mention that I love the white-tie-on-white-shirt-with-black-tux look rocking out here. I'd like to see more of these on grooms, m'kay? And also, how did this photographer manage to make both of these handsome boys look this funny? TALENT





What do you think? Who were your favorites?

All photos via Just Jared; also I don't write "Worst of" lists, sorry to disappoint. Although I guess disappointment for lack of schadenfreude would be a double negative, so a good thing. So you're welcome! Happy Monday!

1 comment:

  1. oh WOW, cate blanchett's dress is completely beautiful! i love it for sure. i didn't watch even a tiny bit of it, but i'm glad you're recapping for us cable-deficient folks over here!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...