Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Low-key events

On the day of my prom, my friends gathered at my parent's house and we took photos in our dresses while we waited to go to the dance. I remember that afternoon so clearly, more so than the dinner, dancing or the all-night partying afterward. That's because my mom surprised me with the most beautiful spread of all my favorite treats: homemade mini-sandwiches, Jones soda, chips and fresh cut flowers, all laid out beautifully on our dining room table. I remember my girls all squealing over the details, and we each grabbed a bottle to match our dresses. We have so many cute photos with our matching soda! I remember being so proud because my mom had bought that special Jones soda, not just big bottles of Coke.

 
via Lonny

I think in that afternoon my love for low-key was born. There was something about those little touches that made me feel glamorous and spoiled, and there wasn't a huge budget or hours of DIY required. It was truly the thought that counted. And it also proved to me that special events don't need to be expensive or stressful, they just have to be special. Buy the "fancy" soda. Bust out grandma's china. Cut flowers from the garden.

Anyway, here are some of my favorite cheap-and-dirty but oh-so-fun low-key-but-decidedly-special event ideas.

A walkway of balloons:

 1970s style House and Garden via Nibs Blog

Homemade potato chips and avocado ranch dip:


Cheery sunglasses make for fun group photos, and help all of your sailor-mouthed drop-shot swilling besties feel more human in their chiffon (I don't even think they have to match):

 

Oh I just love simple little things to make the day feel like A Day, and then leave it up to friendship and family to fill in the happiness. Less stuff more life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...