Monday, March 28, 2011

Turn your lights on baby

Back in my University dorm*, I strung little white twinkly lights around my bed the first day I moved in. I remember feeling like I had to get all of that "college style" out of my system before I became an Adult and was (in my mind) forced to grow up and embrace minimalism.

I still absolutely love twinkly lights but, now as an "Adult"** I can't picture them working in my apartment without looking (as I feared) like the dreaded Peter Pan: the dorm girl who, ten years later, can't grow up.

Apartment Therapy, as usual, came to my rescue. Just look at this headboard:


Those are clumps of college-style twinkly lights, cornered off my 2x4s and covered with polycarbonate. In other words: get your tools out, girls. I could see this looking extra romantic in a tiny room with small windows - like a cozy little cave. But maybe that's my dorm-room mentality coming out.

Photo via DIY Ideas via Apartment Therapy

*In 2001. Holy. Mother. Of. All. That. Is. Aging. 
**Ha!

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love the sparkley lights too! I don't think we're ever too old when they look sophisticated and nice like that! :)

    http://annawalker1992.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That headboard is amazing! For my first dorm room, I brought lots of raw silk curtains and a canopy-my roommate never let me live it down!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...