Thursday, March 31, 2011

Update! Delightning 101 in 1001

Here we are March 31 already. That means I'm 90 days into my 101 in 1001 bucket list, and it's time for another update. 


I didn't really put much thought into signing up for this challenge. I saw Emily was doing it, and I thought "yeah, that looks fun. Me too." But even though I kind of jumped in willy-nilly, I'm really enjoying the process of working my way through the list and I've been sticking with it. 
Most interesting for me was finding that I really can stick with the long-term, repeating goals (like going swimming once a month). I love swimming, but it takes time I didn't want to invest. Now that it's on my list, I feel like I have permission - nay, a mandate - to go. I really recommend the 101 in 1001 challenge to anyone, especially if you feel like you're losing your "me time" with work and kids and chores. It's definitely been fun and has helped me stay focused (and both mentally and physically healthier) during a pretty wacky few months. Plus, you make the rules, so your 101 items can be really easy (take a nap!) or really cool (hike Kilamanjaro) or really delicious (eat 5 creme eggs). Might add that last one to my list, actually.

So - onward with the list! 
I have tons in process, as usual. 

Pink - in process; Blue - complete
Kindness and Gratitude
5. Take special care of friends in need (details personal)
6. Find a meaningful charity to continuously support either through time or donations - I've chosen Covenant House. No further text.
7. Complete two random acts of kindness per month (4/66) - This month I donated frames to a community home (for crafts), and books to a charity thrift store.

Settle

9. Write a list of neighbourhood criteria for the perfect home and find that neighbourhood - Adam and I are in the process of debating location vs price (big place in the boonies or tiny place in the city?), but we're getting there. We've definitely got the list going.
10. Fully unpack and organize remaining boxes - Spring cleaning is underway
11. Create three new yearly traditions for my baby family (1/3) - We're hosting Easter Supper this year, hence the Gravy Boat. Eeek!
12. Buy a home - Down payment, saved. Open houses, attending. Onward!

Culture
and Soul
19. Save up and pay cash for a dream designer item - cash is saved, now to find the bag of my dreams. Yes I'm still looking!
20. Donate the same amount of cash to my dream charity - cash is saved for this too, but I want to donate the same day I get my bag. Although as I write this I realize, why should a charity wait for funding while I'm shopping at Marc Jacobs? and I feel like a prize a**hole. Reconsidering.
21. Read The Catcher in the Rye - I keep reading two pages and then getting distracted. Grr.
22. See a Rothko in person - Booked a trip to Boston, where a Rothko hangs in the Museum of Fine Arts. Huzzah!
25. Create a unique piece of jewelry
27. Support local artists and visit three local galleries (1/3)

Adventure
32. Try three new restaurants in the city (2/3) - This is my favorite to-do. Last weekend we went to a funky little burger joint in Gastown before the Bon Jovi show. I had pulled pork tacos. Delightful!
33. Go to two new baseball stadiums/games (0/2) - Flight booked for Boston and Red Sox tickets are purchased. Eeee!
35. Sip a beer in Boston - see above

Fitness and health
48. Try a Zumba class
49. Swim 1 mile (64 lengths)
50. Hold a high plank for 1 minute
53. Learn 10 healthful, whole foods recipes (1/10) - I wasn't creative at all this month and didn't try any successful new recipes. Adam made a shepherd's pie, but I don't think that counts as healthful. Especially since I kept shouting "MORE BUTTER" during the potato mashing.
54. Achieve and maintain a healthy weight - hey, I'm down 20lbs! I'm one of those curvy short people by nature though, so no one can really see a difference but me.

Creativity and style
No change from last month on these ones, although I haven't backtracked:
56. Determine my personal style philosophy
57. Reduce my wardrobe to pieces that reflect my style
58. Write three short stories (1/3)
Professional
72. Keep maintaining meticulous financial records via Google docs
73. Create and maintain an effective filing system for my home office
78. Continue to contribute twice monthly to retirement savings plan
79. Attend at least one networking event per season (0/11) - booked a conference for Summer. Need to get on this one!

Family and Friends
82. Have dinner with my parents once a month (3/33)
83. Call or visit with sisters at least once a month (3/33)

Joyful
90. Visit Catherine (wherever she is!) - Trip booked
94. Put aside a $600 Summer Slush-Fund for last-minute fun (1/3) - yeah. I've been saving like a mutherf-er. This is what happens when all of your friends go traveling for six months and you stay home and work.
97. Go swimming at least once a month (3/33)
98. Find four new artists/bands to love (1/4) 
Phew! So 90 days in my score is 4/101 complete, 30/101 in process.

1 comment:

  1. You've been such a busy girl-brava! I'm so excited about your house journey (living vicariously, no big deal) and I can't wait until you guys find a place!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...