Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Good deeds

I've mentioned before that the "random acts of kindness" challenge I've set myself has been really tough. The issue is that everytime I think of a good deed, it often benefits me somehow, and thus feels... disingenuous? selfish? insincere? yeah, those things.


It all feels a bit pathetic, especially when reading about this saint man who used his American friends and network to give wheelchairs directly to Polish orphans. I mean, wow.

Something I need to think about, anyway.

Photo: Elle Fanning for Rodarte via Nowness

4 comments:

  1. I wouldn't beat yourself up about it! I'm always reminded of that episode of Friends where Phoebe tries to prove that she can be altruistic without gaining anything from it. You're always going to derive pleasure from helping others, so who cares if at the end of the day, your closet's a little less packed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I think this is what I'm leaning to as well. It feels a little shady, but I think in the end it's win-win, and that's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are too sweet, worrying about whether or not your good deed is good enough! But I think that if it's a win-win, there ain't nothin' wrong with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. do not worry, lady. i go through this (weirdly way too early) about having kids. what non-selfish reason is there to want to have kids that you don't get anything from? bizarre parallel, but it feels like one anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...